Cambridge Bioscience offers access to a karyotype analysis service for both mouse and human cells. The service can be provided for cells grown in culture, or which have been fixed in your lab.
All services aim to provide karyotype analysis of 20 G-banded metaphase spreads from a single cell culture sample. If fewer than 20 cells are found in the sample provided, as many cells as possible will be analysed. At least one high-quality image of a representative karyotype is provided which is suitable for publication. In the event karyotypic abnormalities are found, additional figures will be provided. If complex mosaic karyotypes are found, fewer than 20 cells may be analysed.
Result lead time
• Human samples - 15-17 business days
• Mouse samples - 20-22 business days
Result report details
• Since this service typically searches for abnormalities associated with cell culture, every cell with a structural abnormality is reported
• Most likely that cells with a single chromosome trisomy or monosomy will not be reported as these could be found due to slide preparation (over-spreading)
• 10 percent mosaicism for structural or numerical abnormality would be excluded when practical in all instances
• Cell lines with multiple cells with the same or different related abnormalities would be classed as cytogenetically abnormal
• Cell line would not be assigned as abnormal if an abnormality was found in a single cell only
• Cancer cells and in any cases where very complex, unstable karyotypes are observed - a full karyotype for a single cell will be provided. Additional charges will apply to any additional cell analysis.
Please note this service is not offered as a clinical service for patients and is not available for intermediaries offering a karyotype service.