This convenient assay enables the detection of both cells showing indicators of autophagy and cells showing indicators of cytotoxicity. The Dual Staining Autophagy and Cytoxicity Assay uses monodansylcadaverine (MDC), an autofluorescent substance incorporated into multilamellar bodies by both an ion trapping mechanism and the interaction with membrane lipids, as a probe for detection of autophagic vacuoles in cultured cells. Propidium iodide is used as a marker of cell death. Tamoxifen, a known inducer of autophagy, is included as a positive control.
Benefits of using this Dual Staining Autophagy/Cytoxicity Cell Based Assay
• Autophagic vacuoles detected by monodansylcadaverine (MDC)
• Dead cells detected using propidium iodide
• Autophagy analysis by fluorescent plate reader or microscopy
• Tamoxifen included as an autophagosome-inducing control
• Suitable reagents for use on 10 x 96 well plates
Material available for download
Autophagy/Cytotoxicity Dual Staining kit protocol
Note: product availability depends on country - see product detail page.